THE AUCHY FRICTION CLUTCH
The Auchy Friction Clutch was developed by Henry B. Auchy as an effective and foolproof means of powering a carousel. Henry B. Auchy and Chester E. Albright partnered in 1904 to form the Philadelphia Toboggan Company, which soon became a leader in the carousel manufacturing industry. In 1908 Auchy applied to the U.S. Patent Office for a patent on the carousel drive mechanism that he had invented. The patent, no. 937750, titled “Power Mechanism for Carousels,” was granted October 26, 1909.